Sunday, December 9, 2012

Lemons

This past week has been pretty darn crazy and life decided to throw me a few curve balls. It was just one of those weeks where many things didn't go as planned (anyone who knows me will know how much I despise my schedule being screwed with!!) and I had something scheduled every day after work this week. That made getting my workouts in a little more challenging than usual.

Monday was, well it was Monday and that means usually something crazy happens. It seems so long ago that I can't even remember what happened during the day - clearly I was so traumatized I just blocked it out of my memory :) I had my regular rehab/chiro appointment on Monday which means getting to the gym later than I like to but that's not THAT bad. Andy got home super duper late from work and the house was a mess. Ok not that horrible of a day.

On Tuesday I started feeling crappy. Thank you evil flu that has targeted the entire population of every single person I know in the area. I had a planned dinner that night with some work visitors from out of town so I did get to sleep in a little so that I wasn't at work beyond 12 hours (my breaking point!) I also knew this meant straying from my usual dinner and 2nd workout but I knew about it in advance so could mentally prepare myself for my routine being thrown off. There was a little work drama during the day too which added to my stress level. Our dinner ended up being later than planned but I ate a VERY clean salad so I felt pretty good about that. I didn't get home until 10 so clearly I didn't get my leg workout in but life goes on.

Wednesday is when the flu bug decided to hit me like a ton of bricks in the afternoon. I had an appointment after work that I made it through and then got myself home and into bed. I had this master plan to have a really beasty leg workout but with a fever and all that didn't seem like the best idea. My body wanted some serious rest! I managed to suck down a protein shake for dinner because NOTHING sounded good but I knew I needed to get something in me.

Thursday brought some more work drama. At this point, I was REALLY looking forward to working from home on Friday! I participated in the Cystic Fibrosis Stair Climb after work but I was determined not to miss a weight training session so before the stair climb I took a trip to the gym at work and got in a beasty little back workout. The gym was almost completely empty  however the gym at work lacks a lot of equipment. I improvised and got it done!

Friday rolled around and I woke up feeling like death. I still attempted to log in to work and the universe decided to tell me to go back to bed. Wait, maybe that was my boss . . .Anyways, I couldn't get logged in and popped back in bed and slept most of the day. It was clearly what I needed even if it wasn't what I had planned for the day.

I finally woke up Saturday feeling WAY better, maybe a little slower than normal but knew I needed to get my ass out of bed and to the gym. I ended up getting a lot done yesterday and some extra sleep!

So the moral of the story of my week is that I turned some silly little curveballs, schedule disruptions, craziness, etc. into an opportunity for some extra rest and practice at not freaking out when things don't go as planed. I'm a creature of habit who doesn't like my schedule disrupted. When life gives you lemons, make some damn good lemonade . . . .or a protein shake :)



As I read what I just wrote about my week I'm actually laughing because compared to some other shit I know people are going through right now, my weeks seems pretty darn tame! It always helps to put things into perspective when you feel like the universe is against you. Ok, maybe my week wasn't really THAT bad after all!

1 comment:

  1. you are an inspiration, Liz. You put my workout excuses to shame.

    ReplyDelete